9.21.2011





Mediterranean Nachos




The idea for this meal has been marinating in the back of my head for months now. I saw something like this at the beginning of summer, and put off making it for the longest time. Finally, I decided it was time to hunker down and cook it, and I am so glad I did!


I bought pita bread from the store and cut it into cute little triangles
Then I took one pound of ground lamb and sauteed that up in a frying pan with NO oil, the meat has fat aplenty.
Now heres the kicker, generally when you make homemade chips, you drizzle them with olive oil so they get a nice brown crisp and don't burn. Well for this recipe, instead of oil, I used the extra fat from the frying pan, drizzled that over the pita with salt and pepper, and it gave the chips this awesome smoky flavor!
I threw those in a 400 degree oven for about five to ten minutes, but make sure to keep an eye on them, pita burns quick!
The last few ingredients didn't even require cooking. I chopped up a package of fajita veggies that included bell peppers and red onion. Then I took red pepper hummus and tzatziki and thinned both out separately with a little water, so they'd be easier to pour over the nachos.
Assembly was super simple. Just layering the pita chips underneath the lamb, hummus, and tzatziki, I sprinkled the veggies everywhere (I personally looove peppers and onions.) The last piece was the feta cheese, because we all know you can't have nachos without cheese!


It was funny because after the dish was all done up, I made myself a big plate and offered to make my dad a plate of his own. He declined, saying he would only have A chip. By the time I got back to the kitchen, he had eaten almost all of it! While he apologized for eating so many, I thanked him! Nothing makes me feel better or gives me a bigger sense of accomplishment than being able to share the food that I cook with the people that I love and having them love it just as much as I do :D





No comments:

Post a Comment